Tuesday, April 30, 2024

A Pelican of the Wilderness - Psalms 102:6

In Psalms one hundred and two the Psalmist said, “my days are consumed like smoke, and my bones are burned as an hearth. My heart is smitten, and withered like grass; so that I forget to eat my bread. By reason of the voice of my groaning my bones cleave to my skin”, and in chapter one hundred two and verse six of Psalms the Psalmist said, “I am like a pelican of the wilderness” where we read,

I am like a pelican of the wilderness: I am like an owl of the desert.

The verse begins, I am like a pelican of the wilderness: The Psalmist began with the words, “I am like a pelican” or “I, the Psalmist, exist similar and in likeness to a ceremonially unclean bird such as a pelican or cormorant” “of the wilderness” which means “belonging to the uninhabited pasture or desert place”. The Psalmist said he was similar to the ceremonially unclean bird like the pelican or cormorant which dwells in the uninhabited pasture.

The verse goes on to say,I am like an owl of the desert. The Psalmist continued with the words, “I am like an owl” or “I, the Psalmist, exist similar and in likeness to an unclean owl” “of the desert” which means “belonging to the waste, ruin and desolate place”. The Psalmist said he was similar to the unclean “owl” that dwells in a ruinous waste place.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we see how the Psalmist compared the way he felt to the unclean birds such as the “wilderness pelican” and the “desert owl”. In other words, the Psalmist felt abandoned and alone. Afflictions and troubles tend to make us feel this way, and in these times we should remember that God loves us. He proved His love toward all mankind by sending His Son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins, and when we rely upon, cling to and trust in Him, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and be with us when we feel like the unclean birds in the wilderness and desert.

Next time the Psalmist says, “I watch, and am as a sparrow alone”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment