Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Eating Ashes Like Bread - Psalms 102:9

In Psalms one hundred and two the Psalmist said, “My enemies reproach me all the day; and they that are mad against me are sworn against me”, and in chapter one hundred two and verse nine of Psalms the Psalmist said, “I have eaten ashes like bread” where we read,

For I have eaten ashes like bread, and mingled my drink with weeping,

The verse begins, For I have eaten ashes like bread, ... The Psalmist began with the words, “for I have eaten” or “ because, since and on account that I, the Psalmist, have consumed and devoured” “ashes like bread” which means “ bestrewed and worthless ashes similar to food, grain or victuals”. The Psalmist said he consumed worthless ashes similar to food and nourishment.

The verse continues, “... and mingled my drink with weeping, The Psalmist added the words, “and mingled my drink” or “and pour or mixed, my, the Psalmist's, refreshment” “with weeping” which means “with sore dripping, overflowing and crying”. The Psalmist said he mixed his refreshing beverages with overflowing tears.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn about the metaphorical eating and drinking of the Psalmist. He felt like “ashes” became his food, and tears from crying became his drink. This is extreme sorrow. Sometimes afflictions are so deep and troublesome that our entire lives are affected by them. God knows our troubles, and Jesus said, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me you might have peace. In the world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world” (See John 16:33). He was sent into the world to be crucified on the cross for the sins of all mankind, and when we surrender our lives to Him, we will be forgiven of our sins, granted everlasting life and accompanied by Him in every situation and circumstance that afflicts us so greatly that even our food and drink are like “ashes” and tears.

Next time the Psalmist says this happened, “because of your indignation and your wrath”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment