Sunday, April 14, 2024

Unless the LORD Had Been My Help - Psalms 94:17

In Psalms ninety-four the Psalmist asked, “Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?” and in chapter ninety-four and verse seventeen of Psalms the Psalmist shared what would happen, “unless the LORD had been my help” where we read,

Unless the LORD had been my help, my soul had almost dwelt in silence.

The verse begins, Unless the LORD had been my help, ... The Psalmist began with the words, “Unless the LORD” or “except, if and were it not that Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God” “had been my help” which means “existed as my, the Psalmist's, succorer, assistant and one who gives aid” the following would have occurred. The Psalmist said except that Jehovah God had been his assistant and aid, the following would have occurred.

The verse goes on to say,... my soul had almost dwelt in silence. The Psalmist continued with the words, “my soul” or “my, the Psalmist's, inner man, mind, heart, living being, desire and seat of appetites and passions” “had almost dwelt” which means “would have nearly settled down, abode, tabernacled and resided” “in silence” or “within concealment, death and dumbness”. The Psalmist said his inner man, heart and mind nearly settled down within concealment and dumbness.

When we consider the words in this verse, we see how the Psalmist knew it was Jehovah God who gave him aid, and if He did not help him, his inner man, mind and soul would have nearly lived with death and dumbness. God wants to help everyone, and when we yield to His Son Jesus who died on the cross for our sins, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and be our faithful “help” whenever we have need. (See Psalm 46:1)

Next time the Psalmist shares what happened, “when I said, my foot slipped”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment