Tuesday, April 30, 2024

My Bones Cleave to My Skin - Psalms 102:5

In Psalms one hundred and two the Psalmist said, “my days are consumed like smoke, and my bones are burned as an hearth. My heart is smitten, and withered like grass; so that I forget to eat my bread”, and in chapter one hundred two and verse five of Psalms the Psalmist said, “my bones cleave to my skin” where we read,

By reason of the voice of my groaning my bones cleave to my skin.

The verse begins, By reason of the voice of my groaning ... The Psalmist began with the words, “by reason of the voice” or “through the means and account of the sound and noise of uttered, proclaimed and declared words” “of my groaning” which means “pertaining to my, the Psalmist's, sighing and mourning as an expression of grief or physical distress” the following occurred. The Psalmist shared how the following happened because of the expressions of grief that he made with his proclamation of uttered words.

The verse continues,... my bones cleave to my skin. The Psalmist added the words, “my bones” or “my, the Psalmist's, essence, substance and limbs” “cleave to my skin” which means “cling, stick, stay close, join closely and overtake my, the Psalmist's, outer flesh of his body”. The Psalmist said his inner limbs stuck to his “outer flesh” because of his uttered words of grief.

When we consider the words in this verse, we learn how the Psalmist continued to pour his heart out to Jehovah God. He spoke of his grief and physical distress which caused his inner limbs to stick to his outer flesh. This is extreme trouble of soul, and anyone who is overwhelmed with affliction may feel like he did. God loves us, and He knew in this world we will have “tribulation”, but Jesus told us not to be afraid, He overcame the world. (See John 16:33) God sent Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind, and when we believe and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and hear us when we “groan” and feel like our “bones cleave” to our “skin”.

Next time the Psalmist says, “I am like a pelican of the wilderness”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment