Tuesday, April 30, 2024

My Heart is Smitten - Psalms 102:4

In Psalms one hundred and two the Psalmist said, “my days are consumed like smoke, and my bones are burned as an hearth”, and in chapter one hundred two and verse four of Psalms the Psalmist said, “my heart is smitten, and withered like grass” where we read,

My heart is smitten, and withered like grass; so that I forget to eat my bread.

The verse begins, My heart is smitten, and withered like grass; The Psalmist began with the words, “my heart is smitten” or “my, the Psalmist's, soul, mind, will, desires, living being and seat of emotions and passions exists as stricken, beat, slayed and killed”, “are withered” which means “exists as confounded, ashamed and utterly shrivel away” “like grass” or “similar and in likeness to herbage, green plants and tender shoots”. The Psalmist said his heart and mind were stricken, slayed and shriveled similar to herbage that fades away.

The verse goes on to say,so that I forget to eat my bread. The Psalmist continued with the words, “so that I forgot to eat” or “and the result is that I, the Psalmist, did not remember and ignored consuming and devouring” “my bread” which means “my, the Psalmist's, food, grain and victuals”. The Psalmist said his soul and mind were so stricken and shriveled away that he did not remember to consume nourishment and food.

When we think through the words in this verse, we see how the Psalmist shared that his soul and mind were deeply affected by the affliction that was upon him. He felt like he was attacked and destroyed, and it caused him not to remember to “eat”. God knows when we feel like this, and He sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind to prove His love toward us. Isaiah the prophet said this of Jesus the Messiah, “He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.” (See Isaiah 53:3) He knows our pain, and He understands that we need to be forgiven of our sins to be granted everlasting life with Him. Let us surrender ourselves to Jesus and receive Jehovah God's wonderful gift of salvation, grace and eternal life with Him which shall last forever and ever.

Next time the Psalmist says, “my bones cleave to my skin”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".









 

No comments:

Post a Comment