Wednesday, April 17, 2024

When Your Fathers Tempted God - Psalms 95:9

In Psalms ninety-five the Psalmist shared how Jehovah God said, “Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness”, and in chapter ninety-five and verse nine of Psalms the Psalmist shared how God referred to the time, “when your fathers tempted me” where we read,

When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work.

The verse begins, When your fathers tempted me, ... The Psalmist began with the words, “when your fathers” or “at the time and moment your, the people listening and hearing the Psalmist's words, male progenitors and ancestors” “tempted me” which means “tried, tested, assayed and proved me, Jehovah God”. The Psalmist referred to the time when the people of Israel tested and proved Jehovah God while they wandered in the wilderness.

The verse continues,... proved me, and saw my work. The Psalmist added the words, “proved me” or “examined, tested and made a trial of me, Jehovah God”, “and saw my work” which means “and beheld, observed, noticed and discerned my, Jehovah God's, deeds, doings, things done and acts”. The Psalmist said the people of Israel examined and tested Jehovah God even though they observed and beheld His acts and deeds.

When we consider the words in this verse, we see how the Psalmist referred to the time when the fore-fathers of the people of Israel tested Jehovah God while they wandered in the wilderness. They tried Jehovah God even though they observed His mighty acts and deeds. Many do this today. They have seen God work, and they have been aware of His presence in their lives, and yet, they continue to test and try Him. God loves people, and His desire is to have a personal relationship with every person through His Son Jesus who died on the cross for the sins of all mankind. When we believe and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and help us to know He is who He claims to be and there is no need to try or examine Him.

Next time the Psalmist shares how Jehovah God says, “forty years long was I grieved with this generation”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment