Monday, December 25, 2023

Vows When in Trouble - Psalms 66:14

In Psalms chapter sixty-six David said to Jehovah God, “I will go into your house with burnt offerings: I will pay you my vows, ...”, and in chapter sixty-six and verse fourteen of Psalms David refers to the vows, “which my lips have uttered … when I was in trouble” where we read,

Which my lips have uttered, and my mouth has spoken, when I was in trouble.

The verse begins, Which my lips have uttered, and my mouth has spoken, ... David began with the words, “which my lips have uttered” or “that my, David's, language, speech, talk and words have spoken, declared and proclaimed”, “and my mouth has spoken” which means “and my, David's, orifice in his face used for drinking, eating and speaking has declared, conversed, commanded and promised”. David referred to the words he spoke to make promises to God.

The verse goes on to say,... when I was in trouble. David continued with the words, “when I” or “at the time and moment I, David” “was in trouble” which means “existed in straits, distress and tribulations”. David referred to the “vows” he made unto God at the time he was in tribulations, straits and distresses.

When we consider the words in this verse, we see how David made promises to Jehovah God at the time he was in dire straits. This is pretty common for most people as they make statements like, “God, if you'll only get me out of this, I will ...” The difficulty with these kind of promises is that most people do not keep their oaths. Once their trouble is gone, they forget to keep their vows. This is why salvation of the soul must depend upon Jehovah God who never fails to keep His promises. He sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind, and when we believe and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, cleanse us from all unrighteousness and grant us everlasting life in Heaven with Him. Though we, like David, may make promises unto God that we may not keep, God is always faithful to keep the promises He has made unto us. (See 2 Timothy 2:13)

Next time David says, “I will offer unto you burnt sacrifices of fatlings, with the incense of rams”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment