Saturday, December 16, 2023

O God, You are My God - Psalms 63:1

Psalms chapter sixty-three begins with the heading, “[[A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah.]]” which breaks down, “A Psalm” or “a melody or poem set to notes” “of David” which means “belonging to David whose name means blessed and was the second king of Israel”, “when he was in the wilderness” or “at the time and moment he, David, happened to be within the uninhabited land, pasture and desert place” “of Judah” which means “belonging to Judah whose name means praised and was the son of Jacob by Leah and the territory occupied by the tribe of Judah”, and in chapter sixty-three and verse one of Psalms David said, “O God, you are my God” where we read,

O God, you are my God; early will I seek you:

my soul thirsts for you, my flesh longs for you in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;

The verse begins, O God, you are my God; early will I seek you: David began with the words, “O God” or “O Divine judge, ruler and Supreme God”, “you are my God” which means “you, Jehovah God, exist as my, David's, Divine judge, ruler and Supreme God”; “early will I seek you” or “earnestly and diligently shall I, David, look, search and inquire of you, Divine judge Jehovah God”. David declared the Divine judge Jehovah God to be his God, and that he would look for him earnestly and diligently.

The verse continues,my soul thirsts for you, my flesh longs for you in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; David added the words, my soulor “my, David's, inner man, mind, heart, self, appetite, desire and seat of emotions and passions” “thirsts for you” which means “desires and aches for you, Divine judge Jehovah God”, “my flesh longs for you” or “my, David's, body pines after and desires you, Jehovah God” “in a dry and thirsty land” which means “within a drought, barren, solitary, faint and weary country, territory, region, earth and world”, “where no water is” which means “in the place and location without danger, transitory things and refreshment”. David said his heart and mind desired the Divine judge Jehovah God, and his body longed for Him in a world which was not only barren and weary, but also without refreshment.

When we think through the words in this verse, we see how David established Jehovah God to be his “Divine judge, ruler and Supreme God”, and he searched diligently for Him. He desired to have Jehovah God in his life, and because he lived in a world that caused “thirst” but delivered no refreshment, he needed his relationship with God. God knows we live in a world that leaves us “thirsting” for more, and He provided His Son Jesus to be crucified on the cross so we can be forgiven of our sins, granted everlasting life and find fulfillment in life through a relationship with Him. When we submit to Jesus, we will find our “thirst” in this life has been quenched and satisfied, and even when our surroundings leave us desiring something more, we will find our refreshment in Him.

Next time David says, “to see your power and your glory”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment