Wednesday, March 20, 2024

God's Wrath Lies Hard on Me - Psalms 88:7

In Psalms chapter eighty eight the Psalmist said to Jehovah God, “You have laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in the deeps”, and in chapter eighty eight and verse seven of Psalms the Psalmist said, “your wrath lies hard upon me” where we read,

Your wrath lies hard upon me, and you have afflicted me with all your waves. Selah.

The verse begins, “Your wrath lies hard upon me, ... The Psalmist began with the words, “your wrath” or “your, Jehovah God's, heat, rage, hot displeasure, indignation and anger” “lies hard upon me” which means “is put, set, established and sustained on me, the Psalmist”. The Psalmist said Jehovah God's anger and indignation was set and established on him.

The verse goes on to say,... and you have afflicted me with all your waves. Selah. The Psalmist continued with the words, “and you have afflicted me” or “and you, Jehovah God, have oppressed, put down, humbled and depressed me, the Psalmist” “with all your waves” which means “by the use of each, every, the whole and everyone of your, Jehovah God's, billows or breakers of the sea”. “Selah” or “exalt, lift up and pause to meditate upon it”. The Psalmist said Jehovah God oppressed and humbled him with His billows like the sea, and anyone who is reading these words should pause and meditate upon this idea.

When we think through the words in this verse, we see how the Psalmist shared how he felt like Jehovah God was exceedingly angry with him because He humbled, oppressed and engulfed him with billows of “wave after wave”. We may know what this is like. Sometimes it seems like God must be angry with us because trouble after trouble comes upon us, and we may feel abandoned by God. Jesus said, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me you might have peace. In the world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world” (See John 16:33). God wants to be in an intimate personal relationship with us. He provided His Son Jesus to be crucified for our sins, and when we believe and trust in Him, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and bring us comfort and guidance when we encounter great and successive difficulties. This idea is worthy of pausing to meditate upon it.

Next time the Psalmist says, “you have put away my acquaintance far from me”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment