Sunday, March 17, 2024

Show Me a Token for Good - Psalms 86:17

In Psalms chapter eighty six David said, “O turn unto me, and have mercy upon me; give your strength unto your servant, and save the son of your handmaid”, and in chapter eighty six and verse seventeen of Psalms David said, “show me a token for good” where we read,

Show me a token for good; that they which hate me may see it, and be ashamed:

because you, LORD, have helped me, and comforted me.

The verse begins, Show me a token for good; that they which hate me may see it, and be ashamed: David began with the words, “show me a token” or “fashion, accomplish and produce for me, David, a distinguishing mark or sign of remembrance” “for good” which means “on behalf of goodness, pleasantness and agreeableness”; “that they which hate me” or “so they, the people who are as follows, who are odious to and as foes and enemies to me, David” “may see it” which means “might look at, inspect, perceive and consider the signal of remembrance”, “and be ashamed” or “and exist as disconcerted, disappointed and feeling shame”. David wanted Jehovah God to produce a signal of remembrance for him so that people who were hateful to him would observe it and be disappointed and shamed.

The verse goes on to say,because you, LORD, have helped me, and comforted me. David continued with the words, “because you” or “since and on account that you, God”, “LORD” which means “Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God”, “have helped me” or “have succored, supported, protected and given aid to me, David”, “and comforted me” which means “and pitied, had compassion upon and consoled me, David”. David said the reason those who hated him would be disconcerted and put to shame would be on account that they would realize that Jehovah God gave him aid and had compassion upon him.

When we consider the words in this verse, we see how David knew Jehovah God was his true defense. Even though others hated him, he understood that if God gave him a signal of remembrance, his enemies would understand that God was on his side. God desires to help us and comfort us, and because He works toward eternal measures, He sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind. When we yield to Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, we align with His way of salvation and He forgives our sin, grant us everlasting life and brings us aid and compassion in our time of need.

Next time we begin a new chapter and see the Psalmist say, “His foundation is in the holy mountains”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment