Wednesday, March 20, 2024

My Eye Mourns - Psalms 88:9

In Psalms chapter eighty eight the Psalmist said to Jehovah God, “You have put away my acquaintance far from me; you have made me an abomination unto them: I am shut up, and I cannot come forth”, and in chapter eighty eight and verse nine of Psalms the Psalmist said, “my eye mourns by reason of affliction” where we read,

My eye mourns by reason of affliction:

LORD, I have called daily upon you, I have stretched out my hands unto you.

The verse begins, My eye mourns by reason of affliction: The Psalmist began with the words, “my eye mourns” or “the Psalmist's physical eye as showing mental and spiritual faculties becomes faint, languishes and pines away in sorrow” “by reason of affliction” which means “through the means, source and origin belonging to poverty, misery or depression”. The Psalmist shared how his physical “eye” was made sorrowful because of the misery and depression he was experiencing.

The verse goes on to say,LORD, I have called daily upon you, I have stretched out my hands unto you. The Psalmist continued with the word, “LORD” or “Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God”, “I have called daily upon you” which means “I, the Psalmist, cried out, proclaimed, summoned and invited you, Jehovah God, every morning and evening and from sunrise to sunset and sunset to sunrise”, “I have stretched out my hands” or “I, the Psalmist, spread out, expanded and enlarged my physical hands” “unto you” which means “to you, Jehovah God”. The Psalmist shared how he not only called upon Jehovah God every day, but he also spread out his physical hands to him.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we see how the Psalmist shared the physical responses he had toward his alienation from people who were familiar with him and the misery and depression he suffered because of it. The Psalmist's “eye” was in mourning, and he cried out to God every day. He extended his “hands” toward Jehovah God for rescue like a pleading child. God knows our needs, and He is aware of our emotions and concerns over them. He loves us so much that He sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins, and when we yield to Him as our “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and accompany us when we cry, shout aloud and spread our hands toward Him in worship, praise, honor and pleading.

Next time the Psalmist asks, “will you show wonders to the dead?”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment