Saturday, October 15, 2022

Abide in Jesus - John 15:4

The apostle John wrote how Jesus proclaimed, I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that bears not fruit he takes away: and every branch that bears fruit, he purges it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now you are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you”, and in chapter fifteen and verse four of his book John shared how Jesus said, “Abide in me, and I in you”, where we read:

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine;

no more can you, except you abide in me.

The verse reads,Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; John began with the words, “Abide in me” which means “remain, sojourn and tarry within me, Jesus”, “and I in you” or “and I, Jesus, within you, disciples of Jesus”. “As the branch” which means “in like manner that the tender and flexible shoot of a vine sprout” “cannot bear fruit of itself” or “is unable, incapable and without ability to carry, uphold or bring forward works, acts or deeds by it's own self or alone”, “except it abide” which means “unless the branch remain, sojourn and tarry” “in the vine” or “within the vine as coiling around a support”. John shared how Jesus referred to the way a “vine shoot” “remains” in connection to the main “vine” because the “vine shoot” is unable to produce “acts, works or deeds” without remaining connected to the main “vine”.

The verse goes on to say, no more can you, except you abide in me.John continued with the words, “no more can you” which means “neither and not in any way are you, disciples of Jesus, capable of producing fruit or acts, works or deeds”, “except you abide in me” or “unless you, disciples of Jesus, remain, sojourn and tarry” as connected in me, Jesus”. John shared Jesus said His disciples, like the vine shoots connected to the main vine, would be unable to produce “fruit” or “acts, works and deeds” unless they remain connected to Him.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we see how Jesus used the illustration of a “vine branch” being connected to the main “vine” to show how important it was for His disciples to remain connected to Him. When a “branch” or “vine shoot” is disconnected from it's main source of nutrients for growth, it withers and dies and is unable to produce “fruit”. However, when the “branch” or “vine shoot” remains connected to it's main “vine”, it will “bear fruit” for others to consume. God's desire is to have a personal relationship with every person who submits their life to His Son Jesus. Afterward, as they remain connected to Him, they produce “fruit” or “acts, works and deeds” within His Kingdom that promote God's love and care for other people. Everyone who yields their life to Jesus is to “continue” in their connection to Him, and as they do they shall “bear fruit” among others, and that “fruit” shall remain.

Next time John shares how Jesus says, “I am the vine, you are the branches”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment