Friday, October 21, 2022

Expedient that Jesus Goes Away - John 16:7

The apostle John wrote how Jesus told His disciples, now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asked me, Where are you going? But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow has filled your heart”, and in chapter sixteen and verse seven of his book John shared how Jesus told His disciples, “it is expedient for you that I go away” where we read:

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

The verse reads,Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: John began with Jesus' words, “Nevertheless I tell you” which means “notwithstanding, rather and moreover I, Jesus, speak and proclaim to you, disciples of Jesus” “the truth” or “what is true in any matter under consideration, in reality, fact and certainly”; “It is expedient for you” which means “it is helpful, profitable and better for the disciples of Jesus” “that I go away” or “that I, Jesus, depart and leave”. John shared how Jesus told His disciples truthfully that it was “better and more helpful” to them for Him to depart from them.

The verse continues, for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.” John added the words, “for if I go not away” which means “because, since and on account that whether and in case I, Jesus, do not depart and leave”, “the Comforter” or “the One who comes alongside known as the Holy Spirit” “will not come unto you” which means “will in no way arise and appear to you, Jesus' disciples”; “but if I depart” or “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover whether and in case I, Jesus, leave and go away”, “I will send him unto you” which means “I, Jesus, will assign and dispatched the Comforter to you, disciples of Jesus”. John shared how Jesus told His disciples “if” He did not depart from them, the “Comforter” or “Holy Spirit” would not “appear”, however, “if” He did depart, Jesus would dispatch the “Comforter” to them.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we learn how there was an advantage for Jesus departing from the earth. Jesus lived in a human body and was limited to time and space, but when He went away from His disciples, He sent His “Holy Spirit” to be with them wherever they were. God's desire is to have a personal relationship with every person through His Son Jesus, and when they submit their lives to Him, He will forgive their sins, grant them everlasting life and provide His Holy Spirit to guide and lead them throughout their lives. Those who are wise will see the “benefit” to Jesus leaving His disciples and surrender their lives to the One who knows best for their lives.

Next time we see John share how Jesus tells His disciples, “when he is come, he will reprove the world”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment