Thursday, October 27, 2022

Jesus Praying for His Disciples - John 17:9

The apostle John wrote how Jesus prayed to His Father God, I have manifested your name unto the men which you gave me out of the world: yours they were, and you gave them to me; and they have kept your word. Now they have known that all things whatsoever you have given me are of you. For I have given unto them the words which you gave me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from you, and they have believed that you did send me”, and in chapter seventeen and verse nine of his book John shared how Jesus said, “I pray for them” where we read:

I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which you have given me; for they are yours.

The verse reads,I pray for them: John began with Jesus' words, “I pray” which means “I, Jesus, make requests, entreat, beg and beseech” “for them” or “on behalf of Jesus' disciples whom God the Heavenly Father provided to Him”. John shared how Jesus told His Heavenly Father that He “beseech” Him on their behalf.

The verse goes on to say, “I pray not for the world, but for them which you have given me; for they are yours.” John continues with the words, “I pray not for the world” or “I, Jesus, do not make requests, entreat, beg and beseech on behalf of the earth and it's inhabitants”, “but for them which you have given me” which means “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover on behalf of Jesus' disciples whom God the Heavenly Father granted, bestowed, furnish and supplied to Him”; “for they are yours” or “because, since and on account that they, Jesus' disciples, belong to God the Father”. John shared how Jesus told His Heavenly Father God that He did not “make orations and beseech Him” on behalf of the “world” in general, but for His “disciples” whom God the Heavenly Father provided to Him.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus was specific in His prayer to His Heavenly Father. He “prayed” for His disciples whom God the Father provided to Him. God loves everyone, however, He only has a personal relationship with those who yield their life to His Son Jesus. Jesus is the “Savior” of the world, and anyone who surrenders their life to Him will be forgiven of their sins, granted everlasting life and enjoy a life of relating to Him and His Heavenly Father God. Let all who read these words examine themselves to be certain they are submitted to Jesus who will intercede to His Father God on their behalf.

Next time John shares how Jesus prays concerning His disciples, “all mine are yours”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment