Sunday, October 16, 2022

Love One Another - John 15:12

The apostle John wrote how Jesus told His disciples, As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you: continue you in my love. If you keep my commandments, you shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full”, and in chapter fifteen and verse twelve of his book John shared how Jesus said, “this is my commandment, that you love one another”, where we read:

This is my commandment, That you love one another, as I have loved you.

The verse reads,This is my commandment, That you love one another, ... John began with the words, “This is my commandment” which means “the following words exists as my, Jesus', order, charge, precept and injunction”, “that you love one another” or “that you, disciples of Jesus, be fond of, well please with and dearly love each other”. John shared how Jesus “commanded” His disciples to “love” each other.

The verse continues, “... as I have loved you.” John added the words, “as I” which means “in the same manner and likeness that I, Jesus” “have loved you” or “have been fond of, well pleased with and dearly loved you, disciples of Jesus”. John shared how Jesus' standard for His disciples “loving one another” was to follow His example of the way He “loved” them.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we learn not only that “disciples of Jesus” are to “love one another”, but they are also to do so in likeness to the way Jesus “loves” them. This may seem like an impossible task for those reading these words, but this does not have to be done in one's own power. Jesus went the cross, died for the sins of mankind and was resurrected three days later, and afterward returned to His Father in Heaven. At that time the Holy Spirit of God was sent to come alongside and within each of His disciples to “guide them into all truth”, and through His ability, disciples of Jesus can “love one another”. Let all who read these words carefully consider Jesus' “command” and seek His help to carry it out in the manner that is pleasing to Him.

Next time John shares how Jesus says, “greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment