Saturday, October 29, 2022

The Glory Given - John 17:22

The apostle John wrote how Jesus prayed to His Father God about His disciples, I have given them your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I pray not that you should take them out of the world, but that you should keep them from the evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through your truth: your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word. That they all may be one; as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that you have sent me”, and in chapter seventeen and verse twenty-two of his book John shared how Jesus prayed to His Heavenly Father God saying, “the glory which you gave me I have given them” where we read:

And the glory which you gave me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

The verse reads,And the glory which you gave me I have given them; John began with the words, “and the glory” which means “and the praise, honor, magnificence, excellence, dignity, grace, splendor and brightness ” “which you gave me” or “that you, God the Heavenly Father, granted, bestowed, furnished and supplied to me, Jesus” “I have given them” which means “I, Jesus, have granted, bestowed, furnished and supplied to them, Jesus' disciples”. John shared how Jesus told His Heavenly Father that He “granted” to His disciples the same “honor, grace and splendor” that was “bestowed” upon Him.

The verse goes on to say, “that they may be one, even as we are one:” John continues with the words, “that they may be one” or “so they, the disciples of Jesus, might exist as unified or as one unit”, “even as we are one” which means “in similar fashion and likeness that we, Jesus and His Heavenly Father God, exist as unified and one unit”. John shared how Jesus said the reason He “glorified” His disciples was so they would be “unified” in the same manner as He and His Heavenly Father God.

When we meditate upon John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus not only gave the directive to be “unified”, but He also provided His disciples with the power and ability to do so. It is one thing for people to be told to live as “one”, but it is quite another to manage that goal. Jesus knew His disciples needed power from on High to carry out the ability to be “unified” and because they were in “disunity” while He walked with them, it was necessary for them to receive power from Jesus to be as “one”. God the Heavenly Father sent His Son Jesus into the world to die for the sins of mankind, and when a person receives Him as their personal “Savior and Lord”, they are granted the power to be forgiven of their sins and to inherit everlasting life with God. While they remain on the earth, Jesus provides them with the “glory” He and His Heavenly Father God enjoy so they will be “as one” with other believers, and the world will know Jesus is the promised One of God who grants forgiveness of sins and eternal salvation to all who believe.

Next time John shares how Jesus prays to His Heavenly Father God about His disciples saying, “I in them, and you in me, that they may be made perfect in one”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment