Thursday, October 27, 2022

The Words God Gave Jesus - John 17:8

The apostle John wrote how Jesus prayed to His Father God, I have manifested your name unto the men which you gave me out of the world: yours they were, and you gave them to me; and they have kept your word. Now they have known that all things whatsoever you have given me are of you”, and in chapter seventeen and verse eight of his book John shared how Jesus prayed to His Father God about His disciples, “I have given unto them the words which you gave me” where we read:

For I have given unto them the words which you gave me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from you, and they have believed that you did send me.

The verse reads,For I have given unto them the words which you gave me; John began with the words, “For I have given unto them” which means “because, since and on account that I, Jesus, have granted, bestowed, furnished and supplied to His disciples” “the words which you gave me” or “the utterances, speeches, discourse and topics that you, God the Heavenly Father granted, bestowed, furnished and supplied to me, Jesus”. John shared how Jesus said His disciples knew “the words” His Father God told Him because He “gave” them to His disciples.

The verse continues, “...and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from you, and they have believed that you did send me.” John added the words, “and they have received them” or “and they, the disciples of Jesus, lay hold of, claimed, procured and obtained the words that God the Father gave to Jesus”, “and have known surely” which means “and have come to know, perceived and become acquainted with the certainty and truth” “that I came out from you” or “that I, Jesus emanated, issued and proceeded apart from you, God the Father”, “and they have believed” which means “and they, the disciples of Jesus, have trusted in, relied upon, clung to and had confidence in” “that you did send me” or “that you, God the Heavenly Father, dispatched, assigned and sent forth me, Jesus”. John shared how Jesus told His Heavenly Father that His disciples “lay hold of and claimed” His “discourses”, and they “certainly” understood that He, Jesus, not only was “from” God the Father, but also was “dispatched and assigned” by Him.

When we meditate upon John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus spoke to His Heavenly Father concerning His disciples and their “acceptance” of His words and Jesus Himself. Jesus vouched for His disciples as “receivers” and “believers” in Him and His words, and when anyone receives Jesus in this manner as their personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive their sins and grant them everlasting life with Him. Let all who read these words follow the example of Jesus' disciples and receive God's words, accept His Son Jesus and understand that He was dispatched by God the Heavenly Father to be the “Savior” of the world.

Next time John shares how Jesus prays concerning His disciples, “I pray for them”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment