Saturday, October 15, 2022

Cast Forth as a Branch - John 15:6

The apostle John wrote how Jesus proclaimed, I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that bears not fruit he takes away: and every branch that bears fruit, he purges it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now you are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can you, except you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing”, and in chapter fifteen and verse six of his book John shared how Jesus said, “If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch”, where we read:

If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered;

and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

The verse reads,If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; John began with the words, “If a man abide not in me” which means “whether a person who is male or female does not remain, sojourn and tarry within me, Jesus”, “he is cast forth” or “that person whether male or female is thrown, let go of and tossed away or out of doors” “as a branch” which means “in likeness to a vine shoot”, “and is withered” or “and exists as dried up and wasted away”. John shared how Jesus said the person who does not “remain, sojourn and tarry” with Him is like a “disconnected branch” that is thrown away and becomes “dried up and wasted”.

The verse continues, and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.” John added the words, “and men gathered them” which means “and people both male and female join together, assemble and collect the dried up and wasted branches”, “and cast them into the fire” or “and throw or scatter the dried up and wasted branches into a fiery fire”, “and they are burned” which means “and the dried up and wasted branches are kindled and consumed”. John shared how people “assemble and collect” “branches” that are “dried up and withered” to throw them into “fires” where they are consumed by the kindled heat.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we learn how important it is to remain in a personal relationship with Jesus. Like “dried branches” that are collected and thrown into a fire, people who do not “continue” in their connection to Jesus become useless and “withered” in His Kingdom. God's desire and plan was for people not only to believe and trust in His Son Jesus for the “salvation” of their “souls”, but also to remain in a relationship with Him that would give them the ability to “bear fruit” for Him. Those who are wise will surrender their lives to Jesus, be cleansed and purified by His words and be used in His Kingdom to share the “works, acts and deeds” of the “good news” of Jesus Christ to the world.

Next time John shares how Jesus tells His disciples what happens, “if you abide in me, and my words abide in you”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment