Sunday, October 23, 2022

Spoken in Proverbs - John 16:25

The apostle John wrote how Jesus told His disciples, you now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man takes from you. And in that day you shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever you shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. Hitherto have you asked nothing in my name: ask, and you shall receive, that your joy may be full”, and in chapter sixteen and verse twenty-five of his book John shared how Jesus told His disciples, “these things have I spoke unto you in proverbs” where we read:

These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time comes, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall show you plainly of the Father.

The verse reads,These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: John began with the word, “These things have I spoken unto you” which means “the words concerning the sorrow and joy that Jesus' disciples would experience have I, Jesus, uttered, declared and proclaimed to you, disciples of Jesus” “in proverbs” or “sayings or speeches which shadow forth some didactic truth”. John shared how Jesus told His disciples how He spoke to them in “speeches” that “shadowed some didactic truth”.

The verse continues, but the time comes, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall show you plainly of the Father. John added the words, “but the time comes” or “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover the season or period of time arises and appears”, “when I shall no more speak unto you” which means “that I, Jesus, will no longer make utterances, declarations and proclamations to you, disciples of Jesus” “in proverbs” or “with sayings or speeches which shadow forth some didactic truth”, “but I shall show you” which means “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover I, Jesus, will announce, report, rehearse and bring tidings to you, disciples of Jesus” “plainly of the Father” or “in freedom, unreservedness, openly and frankly without concealment from the Heavenly Father God”. John shared how Jesus told His disciples that the “time” would appear that He would no longer use “sayings that shadow forth some didactic truth”, but would “freely” speak to them from His Heavenly Father.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus referred to the way He spoke previously to His disciples by using “proverbs”, but from this time on, He was to speak to them “openly and freely” from the “sayings” of His Heavenly Father God. Jesus desires an intimate relationship with every person, and when they yield their lives to Him as their personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive them of their sins, grant them everlasting life and speak to them through His Holy Spirit concerning the sayings of the Heavenly Father. God wants to be a “Heavenly Father” to everyone who yields their life to His son Jesus, and when they surrender their lives to Him, He will lead them according to His perfect plan and purpose for their lives.

Next time John shares how Jesus tells His disciples, “I will pray the Father for you”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment