Saturday, October 15, 2022

Bringing Forth Much Fruit - John 15:5

The apostle John wrote how Jesus proclaimed, I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that bears not fruit he takes away: and every branch that bears fruit, he purges it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now you are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can you, except you abide in me”, and in chapter fifteen and verse five of his book John shared how Jesus said, “I am the vine, you are the branches”, where we read:

I am the vine, you are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing.

The verse reads,I am the vine, you are the branches: John began with Jesus' words, “I am the vine” which means “I, Jesus, exist as the vine as coiling about a support”, “you are the branches” or “you, disciples of Jesus, exist as the tender and flexible vine shoots”. John shared how Jesus told His disciples that He was the “vine” and they were the “tender and flexible vine shoots”.

The verse goes on to say, He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit:” John continued with Jesus' words, “He that abides in me” which means “the person whether male or female who remains, sojourns and tarries within Jesus”, “and I in him” or “and I, Jesus, remain, sojourn and tarry within that person”, “the same brings forth much fruit” which means “the selfsame person who remains in Jesus will carry, produce and uphold a great number or lot of works, acts and deeds”. John shared how Jesus said the person who “remains” connected to Him, and He in them, will produce a great number of “works, acts and deeds”.

Finally the verse says, “for without me you can do nothing.” John added Jesus' words, “for without me” which means “because, since and on account that when a disciple of Jesus does not have me, Jesus” “you can do nothing” or “you, disciples of Jesus, are unable and incapable of performing or producing one thing”.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus explained His illustration to His disciples by telling them He was as the “vine” and they as the “tender vine shoots” in His story. He informed them that they would produce many “works, acts and deeds” by being connected to Him, however they would not produce “any” “work, act or deed” without remaining with Him. God loves people, and His desire is remain connected in a personal relationship with them so they may produce many “works, acts and deeds” within His Kingdom. The world needs to know the “salvation” message or “gospel” of Jesus Christ, and those who believe, trust and remain connected to Him will produce the “fruit” that shares about Him throughout the world.

Next time John shares how Jesus says,If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment