Saturday, October 29, 2022

As One - John 17:21

The apostle John wrote how Jesus prayed to His Father God about His disciples, I have given them your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I pray not that you should take them out of the world, but that you should keep them from the evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through your truth: your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word”, and in chapter seventeen and verse twenty-one of his book John shared how Jesus prayed to His Heavenly Father God about His disciples saying, “that they all may be one” where we read:

That they all may be one; as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be one in us:

that the world may believe that you have sent me.

The verse reads,That they all may be one; as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be one in us: John began with the words, “that they all may be one” which means “so they, the disciples of Jesus, may each, every, the whole and everyone of them exist as unified and one unit”; “as you, Father are in me” or “even so like and in likeness that God the Heavenly Father is as one in me, Jesus”, “and I in you” which means “and I, Jesus, exist as one in you, God the Heavenly Father”, “that they also may be one in us” or “so they, the disciples of Jesus, even so and indeed might exist unified and as one unit within God the Heavenly Father and Jesus”. John shared how Jesus prayed for His disciples and those who would believe because of their word to be “unified” in the same manner that He and His Father God are “unified”.

The verse continues, “that the world may believe that you have sent me.” John added the words, “that the world may believe” or “so the earth and it's inhabitants might trust in, rely upon, cling to and have confidence” “that you have sent me” which means “that you, God the Heavenly Father, dispatched and assigned me, Jesus”. John shared how Jesus prayed that His disciples would be “unified” with He and His Heavenly Father so the “inhabitants of the earth” might have “faith and trust” that God the Father “assigned” Him.

When we consider John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus desired that His disciples should be “unified” like He and His Heavenly Father God, and the reason for being “as one” was so the “world” would “believe” God the Heavenly Father “assigned” Jesus to them. Many people do not “believe” Jesus is God's Messiah to the world, and when the “disciples of Jesus” show themselves “unified” over their belief and trust in Him, they must contend with the idea that Jesus was “sent by God” to save them. God loves people, and Jesus knew without someone to “save” them from the penalty for sins which is death, they would perish and live forever without a relationship with God. Let all who read these words carefully consider them, and should they be believers, let them be “unified” under the “gospel” of Jesus Christ so the world will know God the Heavenly Father sent Him.

Next time John shares how Jesus prays to His Heavenly Father God about His disciples saying, “the glory which you gave me I have given them”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment