Thursday, October 20, 2022

That You Remember - John 16:4

The apostle John wrote how Jesus told His disciples, These things have I spoken unto you, that you should not be offended. They shall put you out of the synagogues: yes, the time comes, that whosoever kills you will think that he does God service. And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me”, and in chapter sixteen and verse four of his book John shared how Jesus told His disciples, “these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, you may remember that I told you of them”, where we read:

But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, you may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you.

The verse reads,But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, you may remember that I told you of them. John began with Jesus' words, “but these things” which means “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover Jesus' words about people hating His disciples” “have I told you” or “have I, Jesus, uttered, declared and proclaimed to you, disciples of Jesus”, “that when the time shall come” which means “so at the time and moment the season or period of time arises and appears”, “you may remember” or “you, disciples of Jesus, may recall and bring back to mind” “that I told you of them” which means “that which I, Jesus, spoke, uttered, declared and proclaimed to you, disciples of Jesus, about the people who hate them”. John shared how Jesus told His disciples that He was declaring these things to them so they would recall them when the “season” of opposition and hatred would be upon them.

The verse goes on to say, And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you.” John continued with the words, “and these things” which means “and words about people hating His disciples” “I said not unto you” or “I, Jesus, uttered, declared and proclaimed to you, disciples of Jesus” “at the beginning” which means “from the origin or commencement”, “because I was with you” or “since and on account that I, Jesus, was alongside and beside you, disciples of Jesus”. John shared how Jesus reminded His disciples that He told them all “these things” at the origin of His ministry since He was among them at that time.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus wanted His disciples to “recall” His words concerning people “hating” and “persecuting” them at the time it appears. Jesus began to speak to His disciples of these horrific behaviors at the start of His ministry, and now the time was approaching for this to be fulfilled. Jesus came to the earth to die on the cross for the sins of mankind. He was raised from the dead three days later and returned to His Father in Heaven. Jesus knew His disciples would face “persecution and hatred” when He left them, and He repeated His previous words and thoughts to His disciples to remind them. God desires a personal relationship with every person through His Son Jesus, and those who yield their life to Jesus will be forgiven of their sins and receive everlasting life from God. Let all who read these words consider the “warning” of Jesus, and be ready to endure whatever part of the “hatred or persecution” that should come their way.

Next time we see John share how Jesus tells His disciples, “I go my way to him that sent me”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment