Sunday, October 23, 2022

Do You Inquire of Yourselves? - John 16:19

The apostle John wrote how Jesus told His disciples, All things that the Father has are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall show it unto you. A little while, and you shall not see me: and again, a little while, and you shall see me, because I go to the Father. Then said some of his disciples among themselves, What is this that he said unto us, A little while, and you shall not see me: and again, a little while, and you shall see me: and, Because I go to the Father? They said therefore, What is this that he said, A little while? we cannot tell what he said”, and in chapter sixteen and verse nineteen of his book John shared how Jesus asked His disciples, “do you inquire among yourselves of that I said?” where we read:

Now Jesus knew that they were desirous to ask him, and said unto them, Do you enquire among yourselves of that I said, A little while, and you shall not see me: and again, a little while, and you shall see me?

The verse reads,Now Jesus knew that they were desirous to ask him, and said unto them, Do you inquire among yourselves of that I said, A little while, and you shall not see me: John began with the words, “Now Jesus knew” which means “at this time and moment the Son of God, the Savior of mankind and God incarnate perceived, understood, noticed and discerned” “that they were desirous to ask him” or “that the disciples of Jesus wanted, craved and desired to inquire of and question Jesus”, “and said unto them” which means “and uttered, declared, proclaimed and asked His disciples”, “do you inquire among yourselves” or “do the disciples of Jesus question and ask in regards to their own selves” “of that I said” which means “pertaining to the following words I, Jesus, uttered, declared and proclaimed”, “A little while” or “a brief or small amount of time”, “and you shall not see me” which means “and you, disciples of Jesus, will not behold, view or look upon me, Jesus”. John shared how Jesus began to question His disciples about their wondering what He meant by saying for a “brief time” they would not “look upon” Him.

The verse continues, and again, a little while, and you shall see me? John added the words, “and again” or “and another time”, “a little while” which means “a brief and small amount of time”, “and you shall see me?” or “and you, disciples of Jesus, will behold, view and look upon me, Jesus”? John shared how continued His questioning of His disciples because they wondered among themselves what He meant by “a brief time” and they would “look upon” Him.

When we meditate upon John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus questioned the “questioning” of His disciples concerning His words about them “not seeing Him” for a “brief time” and then “seeing Him” again a little time later. The disciples of Jesus were confused and did not know what He meant. Jesus was to leave His disciples to go to the cross to die for the sins of the world, and He would raise from the dead three days later and reveal Himself to His disciples. God's plan of salvation for mankind was being fulfilled, and when Jesus paid the price of death for the sins of people, they may believe and trust in Him as their personal “Savior and Lord” to be forgiven of their sins and granted everlasting life. Let all who read these words yield their lives to Jesus Christ whom they shall “see in a little while” .

Next time John shares how Jesus tells His disciples, “you shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment