Tuesday, October 25, 2022

That You Might Have Peace - John 16:33

The apostle John wrote how Jesus told His disciples, “Behold, the hour comes, yes, is now come, that you shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me, and in chapter sixteen and verse thirty-three of his book John shared how Jesus told His disciples, “these things I have spoken unto you, that in me you might have peace” where we read:

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me you might have peace. In the world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

The verse reads,These things I have spoken unto you, that in me you might have peace. John began with the words, “These things” which means “the words concerning Jesus' disciples scattering from Him and His Father being with Him” “I have spoken unto you” or “I, Jesus, have uttered, declared and proclaimed to you, disciples of Jesus”, “that in me” which means “that within me, Jesus” “you might have peace” or “you, disciples of Jesus, may have tranquility, harmony, concord, security, safety, prosperity and felicity”. John shared how Jesus said He told His disciples that He told them about their abandoning Him in advance so they would have “calmness and tranquility” within Him.

The verse continues, In the world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. John added the words, “In the world” or “within the earth” “you shall have tribulation” which means “you, disciples of Jesus, will experience and possess affliction, distress and straits”: “but be of good cheer” or “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover exist with good courage and comfort”; “I have overcome” which means “I, Jesus, have conquered, carried off to victory and prevailed over” “the world” or “the earth and it's inhabitants”. John shared how Jesus told His disciples they would experience “affliction, distress and straits” within the “world”, however, they were to be encouraged and comforted because He “prevailed and had the victory” over the “world”.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus desired to comfort His disciples because they would have “afflictions and distresses” while they were in the “world”. Jesus “overcame” the “world”, and because His disciples were aligned with Him, Jesus would extend to them His “peace” whereby they would “be of good cheer”. God loves people, and although believers in His Son Jesus will experience “troubles and difficulties” in this life, He has promised to be with them because He has “overcome the world”. Those who are wise will yield their lives to Jesus and experience His comfort and “peace” even when trials and “tribulation” come.

Next time we begin a new chapter and see John share about Jesus praying, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment