Monday, October 17, 2022

Chosen by Jesus - John 15:16

The apostle John wrote how Jesus told His disciples, You are my friends, if you do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knows not what his lord does: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you”, and in chapter fifteen and verse sixteen of his book John shared how Jesus said, “you have not chosen me, but I have chosen you”, where we read:

You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that you should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever you shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

The verse reads,You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that you should go and bring forth fruit, John began with Jesus' words, “you have not chosen me” which means “you, disciples of Jesus, have in no way picked out and selected me, Jesus”, “but I have chosen you” or “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover I, Jesus, have picked out and selected you, disciples of Jesus”, “and ordained you” which means “and established, fixed, set and appointed you, disciples of Jesus”, “that you should go” or “that you, disciples of Jesus, are to withdraw, depart and leave” “and bring forth fruit” which means “and carry, uphold and produce “works, acts and deeds”. John shared how Jesus told His disciples they did not “select” Him, but He “selected” them and “appointed” them to “produce” “works, acts and deeds” within His Kingdom.

The verse continues, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever you shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.” John added Jesus' words, “and that your fruit” which means “and that your, disciples of Jesus', works, acts and deeds” “should remain” or “are to abide, be held and continue to be present”: “that whatsoever you shall ask” which means “so whatever you, disciples of Jesus, will request, call for, crave, desire and require” “of the Father” or “from the Heavenly Father God” “in my name” which means “within my, Jesus, name and everything which the name covers including the thoughts or feelings which are aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing and remembering”, “he may give it you” or “the Heavenly Father may bestow, grant, furnish and supply to you, disciples of Jesus”. John shared how Jesus desired for His disciples' “works, acts and deeds” to continue to be present so whatever they “desired” of God the Father would be provided to them in His name.

When we consider John's words in this verse, we learn how it was Jesus who “chose” His disciples and not them “choosing” Him. Jesus desired to have followers who would be used in His Kingdom, and their acts, deeds and works were to be present continually. This would allow them to “ask” for anything they desired and the Heavenly Father would provide it. The idea was for His disciples not to “request” selfish things, but the things that would be used in their service in God's Kingdom. God loves people, and His desire is to have a personal relationship with them through His Son Jesus. When they yield their lives to Him, He will forgive their sins, grant them everlasting life and employ them for service in spreading the “gospel” or “good news” of Jesus throughout the world. Those who carefully examine these things should submit themselves to Jesus and be used to “bear fruit” in His Kingdom.

Next time John shares how Jesus tells His disciples, “these things I command you, that you love one another”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment