Monday, October 17, 2022

Not Servants But Friends - John 15:15

The apostle John wrote how Jesus told His disciples, You are my friends, if you do whatsoever I command you”, and in chapter fifteen and verse fifteen of his book John shared how Jesus said, “Henceforth, I call you not servants … but I have called you friends”, where we read:

Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knows not what his lord does: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

The verse reads,Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knows not what his lord does: John began with the word, “Henceforth” which means “no more or longer” “I call you not servants” or “I, Jesus, do not affirm, maintain or mention you, disciples of Jesus as slaves, men of servile condition or bondmen”; “for the servant knows not” which means “because, since and on account that the slave, men of servile condition or bondmen is unaware, does not perceive, notice, discover or discern” “what his lord does” or “that which the servant's master or one to whom a person or thing belongs about which he has power of deciding makes ready, produces or performs”. John shared how Jesus said He would affirm no longer that His disciples were “men of servile condition” because “men of servile condition” do not “perceive” what their “master” is doing.

The verse goes on to say, but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.” John continued with words, “but I have called you friends” which means “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover I, Jesus, have affirmed, maintained and mentioned you, disciples of Jesus, as associates, neighbors and companions”; “for all things” or “because, since and on account that each, every, the whole and everything” “that I have heard my Father” which means “that I, Jesus, have been endowed with the faculty for hearing, perceiving and understanding from my, Jesus', Heavenly Father God” “I have made known unto you” or “I, Jesus, have revealed, declared and given understanding to you, disciples of Jesus”. John shared how Jesus “affirmed” that His disciples were now His “companions and associates” because He revealed to them everything His Heavenly Father made known to Him.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we learn how there was a transition of position for the disciples of Jesus from “servants” to “friends”. Jesus had been with His disciples for three years, and though they would continue to “serve” in His Kingdom, they were to do so as “associates and companions” of the “gospel” of Jesus Christ. God loves people, and He desires to have a personal relationship with them through His Son Jesus. Those who yield their lives to Jesus will be forgiven of their sins, granted everlasting life and be used in His Kingdom to share His “good news” with people throughout the world. Those who are wise will choose to have a relationship with Jesus and become His “friend” in the Kingdom of God.

Next time John shares how Jesus tells His disciples, “you have not chosen me, but I have chosen you”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment