Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Cleansed My Heart in Vain - Psalms 73:13

In Psalms chapter seventy-three Asaph said, “I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked”, and because they seem to prosper Asaph added, “Therefore his people return here: and waters of a full cup are wrung out to them, and they say, How does God know? and is there knowledge in the most High? Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches”, and in chapter seventy-three and verse thirteen of Psalms Asaph said, I have cleansed my heart in vainwhere we read,

Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency.

The verse begins, Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, ... Asaph began with the words, “Verily I have cleansed my heart” or “truly and surely I, Asaph, have cleaned, made pure and justified my, Asaph's, inner man, soul, mind, will, desire, living being, understanding, knowledge, thinking, reflection, determination, conscience and seat of emotions and passions” “in vain” which means “in emptiness, vanity, idleness and worthlessly”. Asaph shared how he believed that it was a worthless effort on his part to keep his soul clean and pure.

The verse goes on to say,... and washed my hands in innocency. Asaph continued with the words, “and washed my hands” or “and bathed my, Asaph's, physical hands” “in innocency” which means “in freedom from guilt, punishment and cleanness”. Asaph declared how he bathed his physical hand with a freedom from guilt and cleanness.

When we consider the words in this verse, we see how Asaph thought he wasted his time bathing his physical hands in freedom from guilt and keeping his “soul, mind and will” pure. In other words, when he saw how the foolish and wicked people prospered in their lives, it seemed to be useless to keep his life clean and pure. There did not seem to be any consequences for the people who were evildoers, and rather than be judged, they were flourishing. God knows every act, deed, action and attitude of every person, and because He knew we all sin, He sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind. When we believe and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, we shall be forgiven of our sins, granted eternal life with Him and leave the judgment of the wicked to Him.

Next time Asaph says, all the day long have I been plagued, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".









 

No comments:

Post a Comment