Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Increasing My Greatness and Comfort - Psalms 71:21

In Psalms chapter seventy-one David said to Jehovah God, You, which have showed me great and sore troubles, shall quicken me again, and shall bring me up again from the depths of the earth, and in chapter seventy-one and verse twenty-one of Psalms David said, “you shall increase my greatness, and comfort me” where we read,

You shall increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side.

The verse begins, You shall increase my greatness, ... David began with the words, “you shall increase” or “you, Jehovah God, will multiply and greatly enlarge” “my greatness” which means “my, David's, dignity and mighty acts”. David said Jehovah God would greatly enlarge his dignity and mighty deeds.

The verse continues,... and comfort me on every side. David added the words, “and comfort me” or “and console, be sorry, suffer grief and give ease to me, David” “on every side” which means “and walk about, surround and encircle”. David said Jehovah God would surround him, be sorry for him and bring him ease.

When we consider the words in this verse, we see how David understood Jehovah God was responsible for his enlarged dignity, and He would encircle him with sorrow and ease. In other words, Jehovah would have compassion upon David and provide for him in every way. God loved David, and He loves us too. Jesus said, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (See John 3:16), and when we understand that God sent His Son Jesus into the world to die for our sins and we believe and trust in Him, we shall be forgiven of our sins and granted everlasting life. Let us allow Jehovah God to “increase” our “greatness” and “comfort” us as He surrounds us every day.

Next time David says, “I will also praise you with the psaltery”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment