Sunday, January 14, 2024

Cast Me Not Off in Old Age - Psalms 71:9

In Psalms chapter seventy-one David said, “Let my mouth be filled with your praise and with your honor all the day”, and in chapter seventy-one and verse nine of Psalms David said, “cast me not off in the time of old age” where we read,

Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength fails.

The verse begins, Cast me not off in the time of old age; David began with the words, “cast me not off” or “do not throw, fling or hurl me, David, away” “in the time of old age” which means “when the certain season belonging to becoming aged or old”. David appealed to Jehovah God not to throw or furl him away when he becomes old in age.

The verse continues,forsake me not when my strength fails. David added the words, “forsake me not” or “do not leave, loose, abandon, neglect or apostatize me, David” “when my strength fails” which means “at the time and moment my, David's, power, might and ability ceases, is accomplished, is finished and at an end”. David beckoned Jehovah God not to abandon him at the time and moment his power and ability ceases.

When we consider the words in this verse, we learn how David did not want Jehovah God to abandon him when he became old and his power and might diminished. Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and He said, “I will never leave you, nor forsake you” (See Hebrews 13:5), and when we believe and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and be accompanied by Him in our “old age” and when our “strength fails”.

Next time David says, “my enemies speak against me”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".









 

No comments:

Post a Comment