Monday, January 15, 2024

When I am Old and Greyheaded - Psalms 71:18

In Psalms chapter seventy-one David said to Jehovah God, “O God, you have taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared your wondrous works, and in chapter seventy-one and verse eighteen of Psalms David said, “when I am old and greyheaded, O God, forsake me not” where we read,

Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not;

until I have showed your strength unto this generation, and your power to every one that is to come.

The verse begins, Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; David began with the words, “Now also” or “again, even so and indeed” “when I am old” which means “at the time and moment I, David, have become aged” “and greyheaded” or “and hoary headed or having grey hair”, “O God” which means “O Divine judge, ruler and Supreme God”, “forsake me not” or “do not leave, depart from or let me, David, alone”. David appealed to Jehovah God not to abandon him at the time he became aged and his head was filled with grey hair.

The verse goes on to say,until I have showed your strength unto this generation, and your power to every one that is to come. David continued with the words, “until I have showed” or “till the time and moment I, David, have been conspicuous, declared, told, made known and expounded” “your strength” which means “your, Jehovah God's, power, might and ability” “unto this generation” or “toward the period, age, habitation and class of men, in which David lived”, “and your power” which means “and your, Jehovah God's, strength, might, valor and mighty deeds” “to every one that is to come” or “to each, the whole and all who are enumerated, come to pass and will be brought in and introduced”. David shared how he would declare and make know the power and might of Jehovah God not only to the people in his current age, but would also share with people who would exist in the future.

When we consider the words in this verse, we see how David appealed to Jehovah God not to abandon him when he became an older man with grey hair because he purposed to tell others of God's strength and ability not only in his generation, but also in the generations to come. David fulfilled his purpose because we are reading his words to this day. God wants to have a personal relationship with us through His Son Jesus whom He sent to the world to die on the cross for our sins. When we humble ourselves, repent of our sins and believe and trust in Jesus, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and give us the opportunity to share about God's amazing salvation to people in our age and in the ages to come.

Next time David says, “your righteousness also, O God, is very high, who has done great things”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".









 

No comments:

Post a Comment