Thursday, January 25, 2024

My Heart was Grieved - Psalms 73:21

In Psalms chapter seventy-three Asaph said, “I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked”, and because they seem to prosper Asaph said, “How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors. As a dream when one awakes; so, O Lord, when you awake, you shall despise their image”, and in chapter seventy-three and verse twenty-one of Psalms Asaph said, thus my heart was grievedwhere we read,

Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins.

The verse begins, Thus my heart was grieved, ... Asaph began with the words, “thus my heart” or “therefore, wherefore and on this account my, Asaph's, inner man, soul, mind, will, desires, living being and seat of emotions and passions” “was grieved” which means “existed as leavened, sour, embittered and oppressed”. Asaph shared how he was embittered, oppressed and torn up inside because of the condition of his soul and mind.

The verse goes on to say,... and I was pricked in my reins.” Asaph continued with the words, “and I was pricked” or “and I, Asaph, existed as whet, sharpened and pierced” “in my reigns” which means “within my, Asaph's, kidneys, seat of emotion and affection or mind”. Asaph said he was pricked within his emotions and affections because of his embittered heart.

When we think through the words in this verse, we see how Asaph discovered his own “heart and soul” through the revelation that God would bring judgment upon the foolish and wicked people. Asaph understood that God was aware of evil people and He would act upon it, and it caused him to be embarrassed by his thoughts and emotions. God loves people, and He offers them an opportunity to be saved from their sins by believing in His Son Jesus who died on the cross for the sins of all mankind. When we humble ourselves, repent of our sins and yield to Jesus, we will be forgiven of our sins, granted everlasting life and have the opportunity to give Jehovah God and Jesus Christ praise and glory forever for their provision for us.

Next time Asaph says, so foolish was I, and ignorant, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".









 

No comments:

Post a Comment