Thursday, January 25, 2024

So Foolish and Ignorant - Psalms 73:22

In Psalms chapter seventy-three Asaph said, “I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked”, and because they seem to prosper Asaph said, “How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors. As a dream when one awakes; so, O Lord, when you awake, you shall despise their image. Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins”, and in chapter seventy-three and verse twenty-two of Psalms Asaph said, so foolish was I, and ignorantwhere we read,

So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before you.

The verse begins, So foolish was I, and ignorant: Asaph began with the words, “so foolish was I” or “exceedingly brutish and stupid existed I, Asaph”, “and ignorant” which means “and indiscriminate, without perception and unskillful”. Asaph shared how he understood how stupid and indiscriminate he was.

The verse continues,I was as a beast before you. Asaph added the words, “I was as a beast” or “I, Asaph, existed like unto an animal, livestock or cattle” “before you” which means “in front and in the presence of you, Divine judge Jehovah God”. Asaph said he existed in likeness to an animal in the presence of Jehovah God.

When we consider the words in this verse, we learn more of Asaph's disparaging remarks concerning himself after he discovered there would be a final judgment for people who are foolish and act wickedly. In other words, no one gets away with their evil behavior. The only rescue to mankind is to believe and trust in Jesus Christ as their personal “Savior and Lord”. Jesus came into the world to be crucified on the cross and resurrected from the dead three days later so people could be rescued and saved from their sinful ways. Anyone who receives Jesus will be saved, but those who refuse Him will face the judgment of God. Lest we be “foolish, ignorant and as a beast” before God, let us yield ourselves to Jesus and be humbled.

Next time Asaph says, I am continually with you, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment