Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Too Painful to Know - Psalms 73:16

In Psalms chapter seventy-three Asaph said, “I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked”, and because they seem to prosper Asaph said, “all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning. If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of your children”, and in chapter seventy-three and verse sixteen of Psalms Asaph said, When I thought to know this, it was too painful for mewhere we read,

When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me;

The verse begins, When I thought to know this, ... Asaph began with the words, “when I thought” or “at the time and moment I, Asaph, planned, calculated, invented, made a judgment and imagined” “to know this” which means “to perceive, find out, discern, discriminate and distinguish the idea of the foolish and wicked people prospering” the following happened. Asaph shared at the time and moment he attempted to perceive and understand why people who are foolish and wicked prosper, the following occurred.

The verse continues,... it was too painful for me; Asaph added the words, “it was too painful” or “attempting to understand why people who are foolish and wicked prosper existed as grievous, troublesome, laborious and miserable” “for me” which means “on behalf of me, Asaph”. Asaph said attempting to understand why foolish and wicked people are prosperous was exceedingly grievous and troublesome for him.

When we consider the words in this verse, we can almost sense Asaph's anguish as he attempted to understand why people who acted foolishly and performed evil deeds were prospering. Asaph followed Jehovah God, kept his laws and had a relationship with Him as a priority in his life, and yet, the wicked prospered and he did not. This may be difficult for any of us to perceive, but the story does not end here. Asaph will discover more in our next verses, but for now let us remember that God sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind. We are all guilty of errors, wrongs and mistakes, and we all need a Savior. Jesus invites us to believe and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, and when we do, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and help us to understand why people seem to flourish in their evil.

Next time Asaph says, Until I went into the sanctuary of God, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment