Thursday, November 30, 2023

Gathering Themselves Together - Psalms 56:6

In Psalms chapter fifty six David said, “In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me. Every day they wrest my words: all their thoughts are against me for evil”, and in chapter fifty-six and verse six of Psalms David said, “they gather themselves together”, where we read,

They gather themselves together, they hide themselves, they mark my steps, when they wait for my soul.

The verse begins, They gather themselves together, they hide themselves, ...” David began with the words, “They gather themselves together” or “they, David's enemies, abide, dwell, remain and stay with one another”, “they hide themselves” which means “they, David's enemies, conceal, keep secret, lurk, hoard and reserve their own selves”. David said his enemies dwell with one another in secret and clandestine places.

The verse continues, “... they mark my steps, when they wait for my soul.” David added the words, “they mark my steps” or “they, David's enemies, keep, guard, observe and take heed to my, David's, hinder part, rear, footprint and heels”, “when they wait” which means “at the time and moment they, David's enemies', hope, expect and look eagerly” “for my soul” or “on behalf of my, David's, inner man, mind, will, desire and seat of appetites, emotions and passions”. David said his enemies observed every footprint he made, and they hoped and eagerly looked for David's heart and mind.

When we consider the words in this verse, we see how David recognized that his enemies secretly assembled and watched every step he took so they could observe his heart and mind. David's enemies wanted him dead, and the same was true for Jesus. Jesus endured his enemies even unto the cross so He could save people from the penalty for sin. When we put our faith and trust in Him, He forgives our sins and grants us everlasting life with Him. David knew what it was like to have continual onslaught from his enemies, and Jesus knew this as well. Jesus is certainly able to care for us when we face opposition, and we may trust that He will take care of us in the midst of them.

Next time David asks, “Shall they escape by iniquity?”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment