Wednesday, November 29, 2023

My Enemies Swallow Me Up - Psalms 56:2

In Psalms chapter fifty six David said, “Be merciful unto me, O God: for man would swallow me up; he fighting daily oppresses me”, and in chapter fifty-six and verse two of Psalms David said, “My enemies would daily swallow me up”, where we read,

My enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me, O you most High.

The verse begins, My enemies would daily swallow me up:” David began with the words, “My enemies” or “my, David's, hating foes and adversaries” “would daily swallow me up” which means “would gasp, pant after, long for and breath heavily after me”. David said his hating foes panted and breathed heavily after him every day.

The verse continues,for they be many that fight against me, O you most High.” David added the words, “for they be many” or “because, since and on account that they, David's hating foes, are numerous and great in number” “that fight against me” which means “who devour, make war and engage in battle in opposition to me, David”, “O you most High” or “O you, Divine judge Jehovah God, who is above, elevated and loftily upward”. David shared how his hating adversaries were great in number and battling him, and his appeal was to Jehovah God who is the Supreme and lofty One.

When we think through the words in this verse, we see how David had people who hated him that opposed him every day, and he knew to call out to Jehovah God who is the “most High” for rescue and favor. David was in the midst of the Philistines, and he had a history with being their enemy. (See 1 Samuel 17) God knew David's situation, and He loved David. God loves us as well, and He knows what we are going through. He wants to be so involved in our lives that He sent His Son Jesus into the world to die for our sins, and when we surrender to Him, He will forgive us, grant us everlasting life and protect us when numerous foes rise against us.

Next time David says, “What time I am afraid, I will trust in you”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment