Saturday, November 25, 2023

Wandering Off in the Wilderness - Psalms 55:7

In Psalms chapter fifty five David wrote, And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest”, and in chapter fifty-five and verse seven of Psalms David said, “then would I wander far off … in the wilderness”, where we read,

Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.

The verse begins, Lo, then would I wander far off, ...” David began with the word, “Lo” or “look, behold and consider”, “then would I wander” which means “at that time would I, David, flee, move, stray and depart” “far off” or “become a good way off, removed and distant”. David believed he would move away and depart if he could “fly away” with the “wings like a dove”.

The verse continues, “... and remain in the wilderness. Selah.” David added the words, “and remain” or “and abide, lodge and dwell” “in the wilderness” which means “within the pasture, uninhabited land or desert”. “Selah” or “exalt, lift up and pause to meditate upon it”. David said he would abide and lodge in the uninhabited desert if he could “fly away”.

When we think through the words in this verse, we see how David continued to desire to get away from his current situation and location. He believed if he could “fly away” to an uninhabited desert place, he would be at “rest”. Most of us understand David's sentiment as we believe if we could just “get away”, things would be better for us. God understands us, and He loves us. He sent His Son Jesus into the world to be crucified for the sins of mankind so they could have a personal relationship with Him. When we believe and trust in Jesus as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and be the source and place where we may flee for “rest” for our souls. Jesus said, “Come unto me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (See Matthew 11:28-30), and His invitation is to everyone who will yield to Him.

Next time David says, “I would hasten my escape from the windy storm”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment