Thursday, November 16, 2023

Purge and Wash Me - Psalms 51:7

In Psalms chapter fifty one David said, “Behold, you desire truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part you shall make me to know wisdom”, and in chapter fifty-one and verse seven of Psalms David told God, “purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean”, where we read,

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

The verse begins, Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean:” David began with the words, “Purge me with hyssop” or “cleanse, purify and reconcile me, David, by the use of hyssop which is a plant used for medicinal and religious purposes”, “and I shall be clean” which means “and I, David, will be made ceremonially and morally purified”. David appealed to Jehovah God to cleanse him by the use of the “hyssop” plant which was used in the sprinkling of the blood of sacrifices as a symbol of the purifying people from their sins.

The verse continues,wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.” David added the words, “wash me” or “perform the work of a fuller upon me, David”, “and I shall be whiter” which means “and I, David, will exist as more pure” “than snow” or “than frozen precipitation falling in flakes from the sky”. David beckoned Jehovah God to make him clean like a fuller does material, and the result would be that David shall exist as more pure than fresh falling “snow”.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we see how David desired that Jehovah God perform the ceremonially cleansing of him from his sinful state. If Jehovah God would only use the “hyssop” plant dipped in blood to sprinkle upon him and “wash” him like a fuller does material, David would be purified and cleansed. (See Leviticus 14:4-7) David depended upon Jehovah God to eradicate his sin, and when we believe and trust in His Son Jesus as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (See 1 John 1:9) Jesus came into the world to die on the cross for our sins, and when we rely upon, cling to and trust in Him, His righteousness becomes our righteousness and we are made clean. (See 2 Corinthians 5:21) Let us give praise, honor and glory to Jehovah God and His Son Jesus for providing salvation, cleansing and the ability to be “whiter than snow” from our sinful ways.

Next time David tells God, “make me to hear joy and gladness”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment