Monday, November 27, 2023

My Equal, My Guide, My Acquaintance - Psalms 55:13

In Psalms chapter fifty five David wrote, I would hasten my escape from the windy storm and tempest. Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues: for I have seen violence and strife in the city. Day and night they go about it upon the walls thereof: mischief also and sorrow are in the midst of it. Wickedness is in the midst thereof: deceit and guile depart not from her streets. For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him”, and in chapter fifty-five and verse thirteen of Psalms David said, “it was you, a man my equal, my guide,and my acquaintance”, where we read,

But it was you, a man my equal, my guide, and my acquaintance.

The verse begins, But it was you, a man my equal, ...” David began with the words, “but it was you” or “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover the person who opposed David was you as follows”, “a man my equal” which means “a male human being my, David's, equivalent value, proportion and estimate”. David said the person who came against him was a man who was equivalent in value and proportion to him.

The verse continues,my guide, and my acquaintance.” David added the words, “my guide” or “my, David's, intimate, chief and close friend”, “and my acquaintance” which means “and my, David's, discriminate, distinguished, recognized and acknowledged known one”. David said the one who came against him was also his intimate close friend and distinguished person he knew.

When we think through the words in this verse, we see how David was stunned and dumbfounded because it was not an “enemy” who opposed and hated him, but it was his friend and known one who was equivalent to him. There is no hurt like the hurt caused by a person who is known to us, and because Jesus knew people would experience that pain, He sent His Son Jesus into the world to rescue us. Sins, whether by someone we know or don't, cause separation from God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for those sins. When we submit to Him, He will forgive us and grant us everlasting life. God loves us, and when we are betrayed by those close to us, He knows what it's like to be betrayed by a friend, (Judas Iscariot) and He identifies with us when opposing people arise.

Next time David says, “we took sweet counsel together”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment