Thursday, October 19, 2023

A Familiar Friend Lifting His Heel - Psalms 41:9

In Psalms chapter forty one David said, “All that hate me whisper together against me: against me do they devise my hurt. An evil disease, say they, cleaves fast unto him: and now that he lies he shall rise up no more”, and in chapter forty one and verse nine of Psalms David said, “my own familiar friend … has lifted up his heel against me” where we read,

Yes, my own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread,

has lifted up his heel against me.

The verse begins, Yes, my own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, ... David began with the words, “Yes, my own familiar friend” or “even so, also and indeed, my, David's, complete, sound and peaceful male companion”, “in whom I trusted” which means “within whom I, David, had confidence in, was sure of and secure with”, “which did eat of my bread” or “who devoured and consumed my, David's, meat, victuals, loaf and meat”. David referred to his complete, sound and peaceful companion in whom he had confidence and who ate his food.

The verse continues, “... has lifted up his heel against me.” David added the words, “has lifted up his heel” or “has raised, made powerful and magnified his, the familiar friend of David's, footprint, hinder part and rear of a troop” “against me” which means “in opposition and toward me, David”. David wrote how his “familiar friend” magnified his footprint against him.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn how David felt betrayed by a person who was previously close to him. His “familiar” companion, whom he trusted and ate his food, was now in opposition to him. Jesus was betrayed by Judas Iscariot, (See Matthew 26:25) and He was delivered over to the priests and Romans who eventually killed Him. Jesus came to die for the sins of the world, and He was raised from the dead three days later which provided eternal salvation to every person who believes and trusts in Him. (See John 3:16). God loves people, and He is familiar with betrayal. When we feel betrayed by others, even close companions in whom we trusted and dined with us, we may know that Jesus identifies with us and we can do no better than to surrender our lives to Him.

Next time David says,but you, O LORD, be merciful to me, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment