Thursday, October 12, 2023

Make Me to Know My End - Psalms 39:4

In Psalms chapter thirty nine David said, “I was dumb with silence, I held my peace, even from good; and my sorrow was stirred. My heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned: then spoke I with my tongue, ...”, and in chapter thirty nine and verse four of Psalms David said, “LORD, make me to know my end” where we read,

LORD, make me to know my end, and the measure of my days, what it is;

that I may know how frail I am.

The verse begins, LORD, make me to know my end, and the measure of my days, what it is; David began with the words, “LORD, make me to know” or “Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God, cause me, David, to recognize, acknowledge, confess and consider” “my end” which means “my, David's, utmost, finite and extreme process”, “and the measure” or “and the stature, size, portion and extent” “of my days” which means “belonging to my, David's, period or division of time”, “what it is” or “how much time there is and exists”. David appealed to Jehovah God to cause him to recognize and acknowledge the final time of his life, and to consider the period of time allotted to him.

The verse goes on to say,that I may know how frail I am. David continued with the words, “that I may know” or “so I, David, might perceive, learn, see, find out and discern” “how frail I am” which means “what forbearing, fleeting, lacking and rejection that I, David, have within”. David asked Jehovah God to reveal the number of his “days” so that he would realize just how feeble and lacking he was.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we see how David was concerned that he be aware of his time to live upon the earth. Each person has a set number of days, and we are wise to realize there is only so much time to live on the earth. James said, “Whereas you know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor, that appears for a little time, and then vanishes away” (See James 4:14), and the facts stand firm: ten out of ten people die. God knows there is an eternal life, and He wants us to live with Him forever in Heaven. He sent His Son Jesus to be crucified for the sins of the world, and when we believe and trust in Him, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and teach us to “number our days” so we will be useful in His Kingdom. Let us give praise, honor and glory to Jehovah God and His Son Jesus for providing life to us and for giving us an opportunity to be changed to fulfill His purposes until the “end” of our time on earth.

Next time David says, you have made my days as an handbreadth, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment