Friday, October 13, 2023

Hear My Prayer, O LORD - Psalm 39:12

In Psalms chapter thirty nine David said to Jehovah God, “When you with rebukes do correct man for iniquity, you make his beauty to consume away like a moth: surely every man is vanity. Selah”, and in chapter thirty nine and verse twelve of Psalms David appealed to Jehovah God to, “Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry” where we read,

Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not your peace at my tears:

for I am a stranger with you, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were.

The verse begins, Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not your peace at my tears: David began with the words, “hear my prayer” or “listen, give attention to and perceive my, David's, intercession, supplication and by implication a hymn”, “O LORD” which means “O Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God”, “and give ear unto my cry” or “and expand, hearken and listen to my, David's, hallooing and beckoning for help”; “hold not your peace” which means “do not cut in, plough, engrave and devise your, Jehovah God's, silence, speechlessness and deafness” “at my tears” or “toward, in the direction and in regard to my, David's, weeping”. David appealed to Jehovah God to listen to his “prayer”, pay attention to his beckoning and wailing and not be speechless regarding his weeping.

The verse goes on to say,for I am a stranger with you, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were. David continued with the words, “for I am a stranger with you” or “because, since and on account that I, David, exist as a sojourner, temporary inhabitant, foreigner and newcomer lacking inherited rights alongside you, Jehovah God”, “and a sojourner” which means “and a dweller, lodger and resident alien”, “as all my fathers were” or “in likeness to each, every, the whole and everyone of my, David's, forefathers, male progenitors and ancestors”. “Selah” or “lift up, exalt and pause to meditate upon it”. David declared himself to be as a foreigner, temporary inhabitant and a resident alien with Jehovah God in the same manner as his forefathers.

When we consider the words in this verse, we see how David appealed to Jehovah God to listen and pay attention to his “oration” and not to be silent as he cried aloud with weeping. David understood his temporary status in the world, and he knew he was a stranger and short term resident even like his forefathers. David knew his time on the earth in the grand scheme of things was very short, and he wanted to have a personal relationship with Jehovah God that would be intimate and close as he lived his life. God wants to relate to everyone in this way, and He proved it by sending His Son Jesus to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind. When we humble ourselves before Him, repent of our sins and believe and trust in Him, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and guide us into the “truth” so we may live accordingly. Let us give praise, honor and glory to God who is willing to “change” us when we come to Him through His Son Jesus, and we may know He hears our cries when we pour out our hearts before Him.

Next time David says, O spare me, that I may recover strength, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".









 

No comments:

Post a Comment