Sunday, October 15, 2023

Innumerable Evils Compassing - Psalms 40:12

In Psalms chapter forty David said, “Withhold not you your tender mercies from me, O LORD: let your lovingkindness and your truth continually preserve me”, and in chapter forty and verse twelve of Psalms David said, “innumerable evils have compassed me about” where we read,

For innumerable evils have compassed me about: my iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of my head: therefore my heart fails me.

The verse begins, For innumerable evils have compassed me about: David began with the words, “for innumerable evils” or “because, since and on account that and indefinite, large and abundant number of bad, disagreeable, malignant and unpleasant miseries, wicked deeds and actions” “have compassed me about” which means “have surrounded and encompassed me, David”. David said a large number of wicked deeds and actions surrounded him.

The verse continues,my iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up;” David added the words, “my iniquities” or “my, David's, perversity, depravities, mischief and sins” “have taken hold upon me” which means “have overtaken, reached and attained me, David”, “so that I am not able to look up” or “which caused I, David, to be incapable to inspect, perceive, consider and have vision”. David said his sins and perversity overtook him, and they caused him to be incapable of perceiving and having vision.

Finally the verse says, they are more than the hairs of my head: therefore my heart fails me.” David ended this verse with the words, “they are more” or “they, the iniquities that overtook David, were greater in number and more abundant” “than the hairs of my head” which means “compared to the number of hairs that were upon David's head”: “therefore my heart fails me” or “then, wherefore and on this account my, David's, inner man, mind, will, soul, knowledge, memory, inclination, resolution and determination forsakes, leaves, abandons, neglects and apostatizes me, David”. David said his “sins” and wrongs were greater in number than the “hairs” upon his head, and this caused his “inner man” and “soul” to forsake him.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn how difficult it was for David to live with his “sins”. He considered them to be “innumerable”, and they possessed his life. This caused him to be without “vision”, and because they were greater in number than the “hairs” on his head, his soul felt like it forsook him. Sin has consequences, and though they may be manifested outwardly, many times they affect the soul of the person who commits them. Paul the apostle wrote, “for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God”, (See Romans 3:23) and “the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord”. (See Romans 6:23) This is why Jesus was sent to the earth. He died on the cross for the sins of all mankind, and when we believe and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life with Him and free us from guilt and punishment. Let us give praise and honor to God for His willingness to hear us when our conscience torments us and allow Him to free us from the bondage that sin has brought into our lives.

Next time David says,be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment