Saturday, October 21, 2023

Why Are You Cast Down? - Psalms 42:5

In Psalms chapter forty two David said, “My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is your God? When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holy day”, and in chapter forty two and verse five of Psalms David said, “why are you cast down, O my soul?” where we read,

Why are you cast down, O my soul? and why are you disquieted in me?

hope you in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.

The verse begins, Why are you cast down, O my soul? and why are you disquieted in me? David began with the words, “Why are you cast down” or “for what reason and cause are you, David himself, bowed down, prostrated and humbled in mourning”, “O my soul” which means “O my, David's, inner man, mind, will, desire, emotions, passions and appetites”? “and why are you disquieted in me” or “and for what reason and cause are you, David himself, troubled, boisterous, turbulent and stirred to clamor and loudness within me, David”? David questioned himself as to the reason he was humbled in mourning and troubled within himself.

The verse goes on to say,hope you in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.” David continued with the words, “hope you in God” or “wait for, expect and tarry you, David, within the Divine judge, ruler and Supreme God”: “for I shall yet praise him” which means “because, since and on account that I, David, will still continue and be persistent in lauding, giving thanks, revering and worshiping him, Jehovah God” “for the help” or “on behalf of the salvation, deliverance, welfare and prosperity” “of his countenance” which means “belonging to his, Jehovah God's, front, face and presence”. David declared his expectation to be within Jehovah God, and he determined to continue worshiping Him because of His face or presence giving him assistance.

When we think through the words in this verse, we see how David began to talk to himself. He questioned the reason he was humbled in mourning and troubled inside. He answered his own question by exhorting himself to “hope” and worship God for the help of His presence. Sometimes we get down or depressed, and when this happens, we may turn to David's model for talking to ourselves. Rather than focusing on our troubles, afflictions and difficulties, let us turn to Jehovah God and expect that He is the answer to our problems. Jehovah God knew we had a great problem with sin, and He sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross to pay the penalty of death for that sin. Now anyone who believes and trusts in Jesus as their personal “Savior and Lord” will be forgiven of their sins and granted everlasting life. Because He provided a solution, help and aid for our greatest problem, how much more will He help us when we have troubles day to day? Let us turn to Jehovah God, worship Him and expect that His presence will provide a solution to everything that humbles us to mourning.

Next time David says,O my God, my soul is cast down within me, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment