Saturday, October 21, 2023

Why Have You Forgotten Me? - Psalms 42:9

In Psalms chapter forty two David said, “Deep calls unto deep at the noise of your waterspouts: all your waves and your billows are gone over me. Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life”, and in chapter forty two and verse nine of Psalms David asked, “why have you forgotten me?” where we read,

I will say unto God my rock, Why have you forgotten me?

why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?

The verse begins, I will say unto God my rock, Why have you forgotten me? David began with the words, “I will say unto God” or “I, David, will utter, declare and proclaim to the Divine ruler, judge and Supreme God” “my rock” which means “my, David's, crag, cliff or stronghold of security”, “why have you forgotten me” or “for what reason and cause have you, Jehovah God, ignored, cease to care for and been oblivious to me, David”? David declared Jehovah God to be his stronghold of security as he asked for what reason and cause He was oblivious to him.

The verse goes on to say,why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?” David continued with the words, “why go I mourning” or “for what reason and cause do I, David, walk, depart, proceed and move in his manner of life darkened, ashy and as dressed in sackcloth or a sordid garment” “because of the oppression” which means “since and on account of the distress, pressure and affliction” “of the enemy” or “belonging to the hating adversary or foe”? David asked Jehovah God for the reason that he went about his life in a sorrowful and grieving manner which was the result of the distress and pressure brought upon him by his hating adversary.

When we consider the words in this verse, we learn how David knew Jehovah God was his “stronghold of security”, however he felt like God ignored and was oblivious to him. He wondered about the reason that he was continually in a state of grief because his hating adversary distressed, pressured and afflicted him. David went through difficult times, and he was afflicted continually, however, he knew to whom to turn. Jehovah God was his “rock of security”, and whenever he was distressed by his situations or enemies, he called upon Jehovah God to save him. God knows we will endure afflictions and tribulations. Jesus told His disciples, “Behold, the hour comes, yes, is now come, that you shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me. These things I have spoken unto you, that in me you might have peace. In the world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world”, (See John 16:32-33) and when we put our faith and trust in Jesus as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and be our “security” regardless of what or who opposes us.

Next time David asks,with a sword in my bones, my enemies reproach me, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment