Thursday, August 17, 2023

Lying in Green Pastures - Psalms 23:2

In Psalms chapter twenty-three David said, “the LORD is my shepherd: I shall not want”, and in chapter twenty three and verse two of Psalms David said, “He makes me lie down in green pastures” where we read,

He makes me to lie down in green pastures: he leads me beside the still waters.

The verse begins, He makes me to lie down in green pastures:” David began with the words, “he makes me to lie down” which means “He, Jehovah God, causes me, David, to stretch out, recline, repose, crouch down and lay” “in green pastures” or “within new and young vegetation in a meadow or field”. David said Jehovah God caused him to repose and lay within meadows with new and young vegetation.

The verse goes on to say,he leads me beside the still waters.” David continued with the words, “he leads me” or “he, Jehovah God, gives me, David, rest, care and guidance” “beside the still waters” which means “next to resting and quiet waters of refreshment”. David said Jehovah God guided him next to quiet and restful “waters”.

When we think through the words in this verse, we learn how David said Jehovah God also provided him with nourishment and calm waters to drink. Sheep need good food, and they are known to step into rushing waters if led near to them. Jehovah God was David's provision and protection, and he employed the example of a “Good Shepherd” to show how He cared for him. Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd gives his life for the sheep”, (See John 10:11) and “I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine” (See John 10:14), and Jesus desires to be the “shepherd” of every person who believes and trusts in Him. Jesus was sent by His Father God to die for the sins of the world, and everyone who yields to Him will be forgiven of their sins and granted everlasting life with God, and we shall praise Him for all eternity for being our “good and faithful shepherd” who causes us to repose in lush fields and guides us beside “still waters” for His name's sake.

Next time David says, “He restores my soul, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment