Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Unto You Will I Cry, O LORD - Psalms 28:1

Psalms chapter twenty-eight begins with the heading, “[[A Psalm of David.]]” which breaks down, “A Psalm” or “a melody of a poem set to notes and played with a musical instrument“of David” which means “belonging to David whose name means beloved and was the second king of Israel”, and in chapter twenty eight and verse one of Psalms David said, “Unto you will I cry, O LORD my rock;”, where we read,

Unto you will I cry, O LORD my rock;

be not silent to me: lest, if you are silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit.

The verse begins, Unto you will I cry, O LORD my rock;”. David began with the words, “Unto you” which means “toward you, Jehovah God” “will I cry” or “shall I, David, shout aloud, call out and summon”, “O LORD” which means “O Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God” “my rock” or “my, David's, block of stone, bolder and mighty strength”. David told Jehovah God that he would cry out to Him because He was David's mighty strength or firm foundation.

The verse continues,be not silent to me: lest, if you are silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit.” David added the words, “be not silent to me” or “do not exist as dumb, speechless and deaf to me, David”: “lest, if you are silent to me” which means “peradventure or unless, whether you, Jehovah God, exist as dumb, speechless and deaf to me, David”, “I become like them” or “I, David, will resemble, be likened and compared to the people” “that go down into the pit” which means “who descend, decline and sink into a hole, cistern or dungeon used for a prison”. David appealed to Jehovah God not to be speechless to him so he would not be like the people who sink into a prison or die.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we see how emphatic David was about Jehovah God hearing and speaking to him. David cried out to Jehovah, and he desired a response. David felt this so strongly that he believed he would be like people who sink into a dungeon used for a prison or more emphatically, that he might as well die. This is a passionate plea from David, and God loves people who desire Him in such a way. When we humble ourselves before God, receive His Son Jesus who died on the cross for our sins and repent of our wicked ways, Jehovah God hears, and He responds by forgiving our sins and granting us everlasting life. Sometimes we, like David, may experience “silence” from God, and in those times we have an opportunity to give honor, praise and glory to Him for who He is and not only for how He hears and responds to our cries.

Next time David says, Hear the voice of my supplications, when I cry unto you, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment