Monday, August 14, 2023

Parting My Garments Among Them - Psalms 22:18

In Psalms chapter twenty-two David appealed to Jehovah God saying, “dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me, and in chapter twenty two and verse eighteen of Psalms David said, “They part my garments among them” where we read,

They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

The verse begins, They part my garments among them, ...” David began with the words, “They part” which means “they, the dogs who surrounded David divided, shared, plundered, apportioned and allotted” “my garments” or “my, David's, raiment, clothing and apparel” “among them” which means “between all the dogs who surrounded him”. David said the “dogs who compassed him” divided and allotted his clothing and apparel among themselves.

The verse goes on to say, “... and cast lots upon my vesture.” David continued with the words, “and cast lots” or “threw pebbles which were used for systematically making decisions” “upon my vesture” which means “for my, David's, vestment, outer garment and clothes”. David wrote how the dogs who surrounded him gambled or threw divining pebbles to decide who would receive his outer garment.

When we think through the words in this verse, we learn how the “dogs” who surrounded David not only divided his clothing among themselves, but also gambled or “threw lots” to decide who would receive his outer garment. This is what happened with Jesus. (See Matthew 27:35; Mark 15:24; Luke 23:34; John 19:23) The soldiers who crucified Jesus and watched Him dying divided His clothing and gambled for His outer garment or coat. Jesus endured these things while fulfilling this prophesy, and because He was dying for the sins of the world, anyone who puts their faith and trust in Him as their “Savior and Lord” will be forgiven of their sins and granted everlasting life. Jehovah God is to be praised and honored for His willingness to speak in advance about what would happen to His Son Jesus, and He fulfilled His words because He desires to live with us throughout eternity.

Next time David says, “But be not you far from me, O LORD, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".









 

No comments:

Post a Comment