Thursday, August 17, 2023

No Fear in the Shadow of Death - Psalms 23:4

In Psalms chapter twenty-three David said, “the LORD is my shepherd: I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures: he leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul: he leads me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake”, and in chapter twenty three and verse four of Psalms David said, “Yes, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil” where we read,

Yes, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.

The verse begins, Yes, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:” David began with the words, “Yes, though I walk” which means “even so and indeed, if and when I, David, amble about, depart and proceed” “through the valley” or “across, by way of and along a steep gorge” “of the shadow of death” which means “belonging to the shade, deep darkness, extreme danger or place belonging to the dead”, “I will fear” or “I, David, shall revere, be afraid of or dread” “no evil” which means “not any bad, disagreeableness, malignancy or unpleasantness”. David referred to how he was certain Jehovah God would accompany him even when the time of the deep gorge of “death's shadow” was near him, and therefore he would not have to be afraid or filled with dread.

The verse goes on to say,for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.” David continued with the words, “for you are with me” or “because, since and on account that you, Jehovah God, accompany me, David”; “and your rod” which means “and your, Jehovah God's, branch, scepter, club or stick used for punishment, fighting, ruling and walking” “and your staff” or “and your, Jehovah God's, support, sustenance or walking stick” “they comfort me” which means “they, Jehovah God's rod and staff, console, pity and have compassion upon me, David”. David wrote how Jehovah God accompanied him and used His “protective rod” and supportive “staff” to console and have pity upon him.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn how David depended upon Jehovah God in the deepest and darkest hours of his life. When death surrounded him, God was near, and he had no need to be afraid. God was with David, and He employed the use of His protective “rod” and His provisional “staff” to provide whatever David needed. God loves people, and His desire is to have a personal relationship with every person through His Son Jesus. Jesus died on the cross for the sins of the world, and when we put our faith and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life with Him and provide for us all our lives. Let Jehovah God be praised, honored and gloried for His provision for us in the darkest places of life as well as the daily needs that arise.

Next time David says, “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment