Sunday, August 13, 2023

Strength Dried Up - Psalms 22:15

In Psalms chapter twenty-two David appealed to Jehovah God saying, “Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help. Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round. They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion. I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels, and in chapter twenty two and verse fifteen of Psalms David said, “My strength is dried up like a potsherd” where we read,

My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaves to my jaws;

and you have brought me into the dust of death.

The verse begins, “My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaves to my jaws; David began with the words, “My strength” which means “my, David's, power and might” “is dried up” or “is withered, without moisture and utterly dry” “like a potsherd” which means “in the same manner as earthenware, clay pottery, a shard or an earthen vessel”; “and my tongue” or “and my, David's, physical tongue” “cleaves to my jaws” which means “sticks and is joined hard to my, David's, jaw of the mouth”. David said his power and might were utterly dry like earthenware, and his physical tongue was stuck to the jaws in his mouth.

The verse continues, “and you have brought me into the dust of death. David added the words, “and you have brought me” or “and you, Jehovah God, have set, placed and ordained me, David” “into the dust” which means “in the dry earth, powder, ground, rubbish and debris” “of death” or “belonging to realm of the lifeless, non-breathing, dead and dying”. David shared how he believed that Jehovah God ordained him to be set in the dry earth which was the place of the dead and dying.

When we think through the words in this verse, we see how David believed himself to be experiencing loss of his might, hydration and life itself. Because he was experiencing such grief from the difficulties that came into his life, it was as though God wanted him to die. Jesus Christ went through these things on the cross as he became weak, dehydrated and actually experienced death. He died for the sins of all mankind, and when we put our faith and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins and grant us everlasting life. Jesus Christ is to be praised and honored for enduring all these physical travails on our behalf, and we shall spend eternity giving Him thanks for His sacrifice.

Next time David says, “For dogs have compassed me, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment