Sunday, July 23, 2023

As the Apple of God's Eye - Psalms 17:8

In Psalms chapter seventeen David prayed to Jehovah God saying, “I have called upon you, for you will hear me, O God: incline your ear unto me, and hear my speech. Show your marvelous lovingkindness, O you that save by your right hand them which put their trust in you from those that rise up against them, and in Psalms chapter seventeen and verse eight David said,Keep me as the apple of the eye” where we read,

Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of your wings,

The verse begins, Keep me as the apple of the eye, ... David began with the words, “Keep me” which means “guard, watch, observe and take heed to me, David” “as the apple” or “like the pupil or ball” “of the eye” which means “belonging to the physical eye or mental and spiritual faculties”. David desired that Jehovah God guard watch and keep him like a he was the pupil of His eye.

The verse continues,... hide me under the shadow of your wings, David added the words, “hide me” or “conceal, carefully keep close and make me, David, secret” “under the shadow” which means “beneath the shade and defense” “of your wings” or “belonging to your, Jehovah God's, extremities, skirts or overspreading flaps”. David wanted Jehovah God to conceal him beneath the shade and defense of His covering and overspreading flaps.

When we think through the words in this verse, we learn how David depended upon Jehovah God to watch over and guard him like a person does the pupil of their eyes and to keep him secret and safe beneath His covering protection. God watches over people, and He will keep them safe. He desires to offer “eternal salvation” to anyone who will receive His Son Jesus as their personal “Savior and Lord”. Jehovah wants to “keep” and “hide” us, and when we surrender to His Son Jesus, we become as the “apple” of His “eye” as we place ourselves under His mighty and protective “wings”.

Next time David says, from the wicked that oppress me, from my deadly enemies, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment